Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Equine Anterior Uveitis


As anyone knows who owns a horse or two, not only are horses predictably unpredictable, health issues can arise at the most unexpected times.

Recently, my mare's eye started to tear and seemed to irritate her slightly. So didn't think much of it, just cleaned the eye out with eye drops and kept it clean. However, within days, the eye started to swell with lots of yellow puss oozing from the corner of her eye.

Then a few days later, her eye started to cloud over which led me to believe she had an injury to her eye.

So after a visit with the vet, I find out Chelsea Buns has Anterior Uveitis, an inflammation of the iris surrounding the pupil. The entire pupil has constricted to help ease her pain. This was created by the onset of an ulcer on her eye. So she is going to stay in a semi-dark stall for a few days and have some eye drops and cream administered for 10 days. The main goal is to get the pupil dilated again so there is no long-term damage.

Could this have been prevented, most likely not. Horses tend to get the strangest things in their eyes. But, the most important thing is NOT to leave this untreated for long. So hopefully within a few days I will see a positive change.

I'll keep ya posted..

ride with the wind @
www.equinenorth.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, My horse has got a mild attack of uveitis but I am worried sick as the horse I ride who is on loan is blind in one eye from REU. I called the vet at first sign of squinting and watering but it hasn't got better with treatment. We are now trying a change of antibiotic and anti inflammatory. This are my first horses and I have had them for 8 weeks.